Naveen K L, Ananya Bhattacharjee, Karunakar Hegde
Naveen K L*, Ananya Bhattacharjee, Karunakar Hegde
Department of Pharmacology, Srinivas College of Pharmacy, Valachil, Mangalore - 574143. Karnataka, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
The main objective of the proposed study was designed to investigate the neuroprotective property of aqueous extract of the Mentha piperita leaves (AEMPL) against haloperidol induced Parkinsonism in experimental animals. Rats were divided into 5 groups (n=6 animals). Group 1 received vehicle control, Group 2 received Haloperidol (1mg/kg, i.p.), Group 3receivedstandard drug Sinemet (125mg/kg p.o.), Group4andGroup5treated with lower (100mg/kg, p.o.) and higher (250mg/kg, p.o.) doses of AEMPL respectively for 14 days. Later motor co-ordination (rota-rod), locomotor activity (actophotometer) and catalepsy bar test was performed and also brain histopathological examination was also done. Both the lower and higher doses of aqueous extract of Mentha piperita leaves showed dose dependent, extremely significant increases in locomotor activity by increasing number of cuts, decreases fall off time and also decreases in latency period in metal bar test, histopathological examination shows reduction in neuronal loss and normal brain architecture was observed when compared haloperidol treated group. Hence Mentha piperita shows neuroprotective activity because of potential anti-oxidant property. The obtained result was comparable with that of the standard drug levodopa+carbidopa (Sinemet). The outcome of the present study provides the evidence that the aqueous extract of Mentha piperita leaves reported that it has dose dependent beneficial neuroprotective effect against haloperidol induced Parkinson’s disease in experimental rats.
Cite this article:
Naveen K L, Ananya Bhattacharjee, Karunakar Hegde. A Study to Evaluate the Neuroprotective property of Aqueous Extract of Mentha piperita Leaves on Haloperidol Induced Parkinsonism in Experimental rats. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(3):139-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00027
Naveen K L, Ananya Bhattacharjee, Karunakar Hegde. A Study to Evaluate the Neuroprotective property of Aqueous Extract of Mentha piperita Leaves on Haloperidol Induced Parkinsonism in Experimental rats. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(3):139-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00027 Available on: https://www.asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-3-1
1. Batista P, Pereira A. Quality of Life in Patients with Neurodegenerative Diseases. IPJNN 2016; 7:1-7.
2. Gitler AD, Dhillon P, Shorter J. Neurodegenerative disease: models, mechanisms, and a new hope. Disease Model and Mechanism. 2017; 10(5):499-502.
3. Stoker TB, Barker RA. Recent developments in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease. F1000 Research. 2020; 9:1-12.
4. Gonzalez-Casacuberta I, Juarez-Flores DL, Moren C, Garrabou G. Bioenergotocs and Autophagic Imbalance in Patient- Derived Cell Models of Parkinson Disease Supports Systemic Dysfunction in Neurodegeneration. Front Neurosci. 2019; 13:894.
5. Dauer W, Przedborski S. Parkinson’s Disease: Mechanisms and Models. Neuron. 2003; 39(6):889-909.
6. Carballo-Carbajal I, Laguna A, Romero-Gimenez J, Cuadros T, Bove J, Martinez-Vicente M, et al. Brain tyrosinase overexpression implicates age-dependent neuromelanin production in Parkinson’s pathogenesis. Nat Commun. 2019; 10(1):1-9.
7. Bove J, Prou D, Perier C, Przedborski S. toxin induced models of Parkinson’s disease. Neuro Rx. 2005; 2(3):484-494.
8. Saravanan R. Neuroprotective effect of Thuja orientalis in haloperidol induced animal model of Parkinson’s Disease. IJPR. 2016; 6(10):308.
9. Rajaram C, Reddy KR, Sekhar KBC. Neuroprotective activity of Tephrosia purpurea against haloperidol induced Parkinson’sdisease model. Pharmacologia 2005; 6(4):125-30.
10. : Bagewadi HG, Afzal Khan AK. Evaluation of anti-parkinsonian activity of Elaeocarpus ganitrus on haloperidol induced Parkinson’s disease in mice. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2015; 4:102-6.
11. Rita P, Animesh DK. An updated overview on peppermint (Mentha piperata.). Int. Res. J. Pharm. 2011 Aug; 2(8):1-0.
12. Trevisan SC, Menezes AP, Barbalho SM, Guiguer ÉL. Properties of Mentha piperita: a brief review. WJPMR. 2017; 3(1):309-13.
13. Raya MP, Utrilla MP, Navarro MC, Jimenez J. CNS activity of Mentha rotundifolia and Mentha longifolia essential oil in mice and rats. Phytotherapy Research. 1990; 4(6):232-4.
14. Taher YA. Antinociceptive activity of Mentha piperita leaf aqueous extract in mice. Libyan Journal of Medicine. 2012; 7(1):16205.
15. Badal RM, Badal D, Badal P, Khare A, Shrivastava J, Kumar V. Pharmacological action of Mentha piperita on lipid profile in fructose-fed rats. Iran J Pharm Res. 2011; 10(4):843.
16. Nade VS, Kawale LA, Zambre SS, Kapure AB. Neuroprotective potential of Beta vulgaris L.in Parkinson's disease. Indian J Pharmacol. 2015; 47:403-8.
17. Nagarjuna S, Arifullah M, Kumar AS, Srinath B, Reddy KS, Reddy YP. Evaluation of antioxidant and antiparkinsonian activities of Brassica oleracea in haloperidol-induced tardivedyskinesia. Int J Green Pharm. 2015; 9:143-9.
18. Dunham NW, Miya TS. A note on a simple apparatus for detecting neurological deficit in rats and mice. J Am Pharm Assoc Am Pharm Assoc (Baltim). 1957; 46(3):208-9.
19. Bhangale JO, Acharya SR. Anti-Parkinson Activity of Petroleum Ether Extract of Ficus religiosa (L.) Leaves. Adv Pharmacol Sci. 2012; 2016:1-9.
20. Jenner P. Preclinical evidence for neuroprotection with monoamine oxidase-B inhibitors in Parkinson’s disease. Neurology. 2004; 63(7 Suppl 2):13-22.
21. Yuan H, Zheng JC, Liu P, Zhang SF, Xu JY, Bai LM. Pathogenesis of Parkinson’s disease: oxidative stress, environmental impact factors and inflammatory processes. Neurosci Bull. 2007; 23(2):125-30.
22. Slivka A, Cohen G. Hydroxyl radical attack on dopamine. J Biol Chem. 1985; 260(29):15466-72.
23. Sharma AK, Gupta S, Patel RK, Wardhan N. Haloperidol-induced Parkinsonism is attenuated by varenicline in mice. Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology. 2018; 29(4):395-401.
24. Mairapetyan S, Alexanyan J, Tovmasyan A, Daryadar M, Stepanian B, Mamikonyan V. Productivity, biochemical indices and antioxidant activity of Peppermint (Mentha piperita L.) and Basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) in condition of hydroponics. J. Sci. Technol. Environ. Inform. 2016; 3(2): 191-194.