Chetan Savant, Venkatrao Kulkarni, Prasanna Habbu, Preeti Kulkarni, Muhammed Majeed, Mahadeva Nayak
Chetan Savant1*, Venkatrao Kulkarni1, Prasanna Habbu2, Preeti Kulkarni1, Muhammed Majeed3, Mahadeva Nayak3
1Department of Pharmacology, SET’s College of Pharmacy, Dharwad-580002, Karnataka, India.
2Department of Pharmacognosy, SET’s College of Pharmacy, Dharwad- 580002, Karnataka, India.
3Sami Labs Limited, R&D Peenya Industrial Area, Bangalore- 560058, Karnataka, India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
Herbal drugs are used widely even when their biologically active compounds are unknown, probably because of their effectiveness, lesser side effects and affordability. In the present study we investigated the potential cardio-protective effect of combination of standardized extracts of Terminalia arjuna and Ocimum sanctum in isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction. Myocardial infarction was induced in rats by subcutaneous injection of Isoproterenol for two consecutive days at an interval of 24h. Rats were pre-treated with test drugs for the period of 21 days and Isoproterenol was administered on 20 and 21st day. At the end of experiment i.e on 22nd day hemodynamic, biochemical and histopathological study of heart tissue were evaluated from control and experimental groups. Isoproterenol treated animals showed significant increase in heart rate and cardiac biomarkers. Whereas, mean arterial blood pressure and antioxidant parameters were significantly decreased. Animals administered with different combinations of standardized extracts of Terminalia arjuna and Ocimum sanctum significantly maintained the levels of cardiac biomarkers, antioxidant parameters, mean arterial pressure and heart rate. Histopathology study showed marked myocardial necrosis in Isoproterenol treated animals and significant cardiac protection of animals treated with extract combinations. Hence, we may conclude that herb-herb combinations were found to be effective in prevention of myocardial injury induced by isoproterenol.
Cite this article:
Chetan Savant, Venkatrao Kulkarni, Prasanna Habbu, Preeti Kulkarni, Muhammed Majeed, Mahadeva Nayak. Pharmacodynamic interaction of Terminalia arjuna (Roxb) with Ocimum sanctum (Linn) in Isoproterenol induced cardiac necrosis. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2022; 12(1):19-3. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00004
Chetan Savant, Venkatrao Kulkarni, Prasanna Habbu, Preeti Kulkarni, Muhammed Majeed, Mahadeva Nayak. Pharmacodynamic interaction of Terminalia arjuna (Roxb) with Ocimum sanctum (Linn) in Isoproterenol induced cardiac necrosis. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2022; 12(1):19-3. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00004 Available on: https://www.asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-1-4
1. Hasitha Diana Manohar, Srinivasan D, Sengottuvelu S. Cardioprotective activity of Limonia acidissima against Isoproterenol Induced Myocardial Infarction in Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 9(5): 541-544.
2. Malathi Mangalanathan, Saraswathi Uthamaramasamy, Ramalingam Venkateswaran. Protective effect of Zanthoxylum armatum fruit on Heart Mitochondrial Antioxidants Against Isoproterenol Induced Cardiac Damage in Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(2): 681-686. .
3. Wong ZW, Thanikachalam PV and Ramamurthy S. Molecular understanding of the protective role of natural products on isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction: A review. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2017; 94: 1145–1166.
4. Khalil M, Ahmmed I, Ahmed R, Tanvir EM, Afroz R and Paul S et. al, Amelioration of isoproterenol-induced oxidative damage in rat myocardium by Withania somnifera leaf extract. BioMed Research International. 2015; 2015: 624159.
5. Saiprasanna Behera, Manohar Babu S, Y Roja Ramani, Prasanta Kumar Choudhury, Rajeshree Panigrahi. Cardioprotective Activity of Ocimum canum Hydro-alcoholic Leaf Extracts against Isoproterenol Induced Myocardial Infarction in Rats. Research Journal Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2012; 4(4): 191-201.
6. Dwivedi S. Terminalia arjuna Wight & Arn. a useful drug for cardiovascular disorders. Journal of Ethnopharmcology. 2007; 114: 114–129.
7. Grassi D, Desideri G, Croce G, Tiberti S, Aggio A and Ferri C. Flavonoids, vascular function and cardiovascular protection. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 2009; 15: 1072-1084.
8. Kumar G, Saleem N, Kumar S, Maulik SK, Ahmad S and Sharma M. Transcriptomic validation of the protective effects of aqueous bark extract of Terminalia arjuna (Roxb.) on isoproterenol-induced cardiac hypertrophy in rats. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2019; 10: 1443.
9. Sharma M, Kishore K, Gupta SK, Joshi S and Arya DS. Cardioprotective potential of Ocimum sanctum in isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction in rats. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 2001; 225: 75-83.
10. Sivakumar V and Rajeshkumar S. Screening of cardioprotective effect of Terminalia arjuna Linn. bark in isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in experimental animals. International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research. 2014; 5(6): 262-268.
11. Tiwari P, Rakesh K Patel. Cardioprotective activity of Ashwagandharishta on Isoproterenol Induced Myocardial Infarction. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2012; 4(5): 294-298.
12. Sun M and Zigman S. An improved spectrophotometric assay for superoxide dismutase based on epinephrine auto-oxidation. Analytical Biochemistry. 1978; 90: 81–89
13. Clairborne A. Catalase activity. In: Greenwald RA, editor. CRS handbook of methods in oxygen radical research. Boca Raton, FL: CRS Press; pp. 283–4. 1991.
14. Ellman GL. Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 1959; 82: 70–77.
15. Preeti Tiwari. Cardioprotective Activity of Draksharishta on Isoproterenol Induced Myocardial Infarction. Research Journal Science and Technology. 2014; 6(3): 151-155.
16. Heraldo GLF, Nestor LF, Rafael BS, Eduardo RC and Patrícia LDL. Experimental model of myocardial infarction induced by isoproterenol in rats. The Brazilian Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery. 2011; 26: 469-476
17. Acikel M, Buyukokuroglu ME, Erdogan F, Aksoy H, Bozkurt E and Senocak H. Protective effects of dantrolene against myocardial injury induced by isoproterenol in rats: biochemical and histological findings. International Journal of Cardiology. 2005; 98: 389-394.
18. Hardik Joshi, Manoj Pagare, Leena Patil, Vilasrao Kadam. Cardioprotective Effect of Ethanolic Extract of Buchanania lanzan Spreng. Against Isoproterenol Induced Myocardial Infarction in Rats: A Biochemical, Electrocardiographic Evaluation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(2): 263-266.
19. Priscilla DH and Prince PSM. Cardioprotective effect of gallic acid on cardiac troponin-T, cardiac marker enzymes, lipid peroxidation products and antioxidants in experimentally induced myocardial infarction in Wistar rats. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 2009; 179: 118–124.
20. Sharma M, Kishore K, Gupta SK, Joshi S and Arya DS. Cardioprotective potential of Ocimum sanctum in isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction in rats. Molecular and cellular biochemistry. 2001; 225(1): 75-83.
21. Subbaiah GV, Mallikarjuna K, Shanmugam B, Ravi S, Taj PU and Reddy KS. Ginger treatment ameliorates alcohol-induced myocardial damage by suppression of hyperlipidemia and cardiac biomarkers in rats. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2017; 13: 69-75.
22. Mandal S, Patra A, Samanta A, Roy S, Mandal A, Mahapatra TD, Pradhan S, Das K and Nandi DK. Analysis of phytochemical profile of Terminalia arjuna bark extract with antioxidative and antimicrobial properties. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2013; 3(12): 960-966.
23. Lokhande VY, Yadav AV. In vitro Antioxidant and Antidiabetic Activity of Supercritical Fluid extract of Leaves Ocimum sanctum L. Research Jornal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(12): 5376-5378.
24. Akila P, Asaikumar L and Vennila L. Chlorogenic acid ameliorates isoproterenol-induced myocardial injury in rats by stabilizing mitochondrial and lysosomal enzymes. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2017; 85: 582-591.
25. McGill R.M. The past and present of serum aminotransferases and the future of liver injury biomarkers. EXCLI Journal. 2016; 15: 817–828.
26. Peer PA, Trivedi PC, Nigade PB, Ghaisas MM and Deshpande AD. Cardioprotective effect of Azadirachta indica A. Juss. on isoprenaline induced myocardial infarction in rats. International Journal of Cardiology. 2008; 26: 123-126.
27. Qu L, Zhu Y, Liu Y, Yang H, Zhu C, Ma P, Deng J, Fan D. Protective effects of ginsenoside Rk3 against chronic alcohol-induced liver injury in mice through inhibition of inflammation, oxidative stress, and apoptosis. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2019; 126: 277-284.