Tejasavi Mahajan, Navdeep Singh, Kamya Goyal, Shammy Jindal, Vinay Pandit, M.S. Ashawat
Tejasavi Mahajan1, Navdeep Singh1, Kamya Goyal2, Shammy Jindal1*, Vinay Pandit1, M.S. Ashawat1
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy, Kathog Jawalaji Dist - Kangra (H.P.) India.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy,
Kathog Jawalaji Dist - Kangra (H.P.) India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
In the past 15 years, breakthroughs in the understanding towards the pathogenesis of psoriasis have been translated into highly and targeted effective therapies which provides fundamental insights into the pathogenesis of chronic inflammatory diseases. In this article we understand the mechanisms involved in the initiation and development of psoriasis, as well as the therapeutic options that arises from the dissection of the inflammatory psoriatic pathways. The whole discussion begins by addressing the inflammatory pathways and key cell types which initiating and perpetuating the psoriatic inflammation. Also, we discuss the role of genetics, associated epigenetic mechanisms, and the interaction of the skin flora in the pathophysiology of psoriasis. So, we the purpose of our study is to understand psoriasis comprehensively, and this review is well-established to explain the therapies, and other novel targeted drugs that are mostly used in the effective treatment of psoriasis.
Cite this article:
Tejasavi Mahajan, Navdeep Singh, Kamya Goyal, Shammy Jindal, Vinay Pandit, M.S. Ashawat. Recent Updates on Psoriasis: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2022; 12(1):76-3. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00012
Tejasavi Mahajan, Navdeep Singh, Kamya Goyal, Shammy Jindal, Vinay Pandit, M.S. Ashawat. Recent Updates on Psoriasis: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2022; 12(1):76-3. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00012 Available on: https://www.asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-1-12
1. Mabuchi T, Chang TW, Quinter S and Hwang ST. Chemokine receptors in the pathogenesis and therapy of psoriasis. Journal of Dermatological Science. 2012;65(1): 4-11
2. Tsuruta D. NF-κB links keratinocytes and lymphocytes in the pathogenesis of psoriasis. Recent Patents on Inflammation and Allergy Drug Discovery. 2009; 3(1): 40-8.
3. Krueger JG and Bowcock A. Psoriasis pathophysiology: current concepts of pathogenesis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2005; 64(2): 30-6.
4. Sondhi S, Singh N, Jindal S. Natural Remedies used in the Treatment of Psoriasis: A short Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2021;11(1):43-5.
5. Nograles KE and Krueger JG. Anti-cytokine therapies for psoriasis. Experimental Cell Research. 2011; 317(9): 1293-300.
6. Galimova ES, Akhmetova VL and Khusnutdinova EK. Molecular genetic basis of susceptibility to psoriasis. Russian Journal of Genetics. 2008; 44(5): 513.
7. Campalani E and Barker JN. The clinical genetics of psoriasis. Current Genomics. 2005; 6(1): 51-60.
8. A Kumar, S Jindal, MS Ashawat, V Pandit, V Priya. Psoriasis and Its Treatment: A Review.
9. Vani PB, Kumar PR. A Comparative Review on Conventional and Traditional medicine in the Treatment of Psoriasis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(11):5642-6.
10. Lebwohl M, Menter A, Koo J and Feldman SR. Combination therapy to treat moderate to severe psoriasis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2004; 50(3): 416-30.
11. Armstrong AW, Schupp C, Wu J and Bebo B. Quality of life and work productivity impairment among psoriasis patients: findings from the National Psoriasis Foundation survey data 2003–2011. PloS one. 2012; 7(12): e52935.
12. Weiss SC, Kimball AB, Liewehr DJ, Blauvelt A and Turner ML. Quantifying the harmful effect of psoriasis on health-related quality of life. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 2002; 47(4): 512-8.
13. Kimball AB, Gieler U, Linder D, Sampogna F and Warren RB: Psoriasis: is the impairment to a patient’s life cumulative? Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2010; 24(9): 989-04.
14. Azfar RS, Seminara NM, Shin DB, Troxel AB and Margolis DJ. Increased risk of diabetes mellitus and the likelihood of receiving diabetes mellitus treatment in patients with psoriasis. Archives of Dermatology. 2012; 148(9): 995-00.
15. Iriventi P, Gupta NV. Formulation and Evaluation of herbal cream for treating psoriasis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021;14(1):167-70.
16. Gisondi P and Girolomoni G. Cardiometabolic comorbidities and the approach to patients with psoriasis. Actas Dermo-Sifiliograficas. 2009; 100: 14-21.
17. Paller AS, Mercy K, Kwasny MJ, Choon SE and Cordoro KM. Association of pediatric psoriasis severity with excess and central adiposity: an international cross-sectional study. JAMA Dermatology. 2013; 149(2): 166-76.
18. Parisi R, Symmons DP, Griffiths CE and Ashcroft DM. Global epidemiology of psoriasis: a systematic review of incidence and prevalence. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2013; 133: 377-85.
19. Pradhan M, Alexander A. Development and Validation of a Robust RP-HPLC Method for Analysis of Calcipotriol in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(2):579-83.
20. Bedi TR. Clinical profile of psoriasis in North India. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology. 1995; 61(4): 202.
21. Kaur I, Handa S and Kumar B. Natural history of psoriasis: a study from the Indian subcontinent. The Journal of Dermatology. 1997; 24(4): 230-4.
22. Gillard SE and Finlay AY. Current management of psoriasis in the United Kingdom: patterns of prescribing and resource use in primary care. International Journal of Clinical Practice. 2005; 59(11): 1260-7.
23. Rawat Singh M, Pradhan K and Singh D. Lipid matrix systems with emphasis on lipid microspheres: potent carriers for transcutaneous delivery of bioactives. Current Drug Delivery. 2012; 9(3): 243-54.
24. Torchilin VP. Structure and design of polymeric surfactant-based drug delivery systems. Journal of Controlled Release. 2001; 73(2-3): 137-72.
25. Kaplan FO, Daniel H and Barker J: Mechanisms of Disease: Psoriasis. Nestle In: New England Journal of Medicine. 2009; 361(5): 496-09.
26. Christophers E, Segaert S, Milligan G, Molta CT and Boggs R: Clinical improvement and satisfaction with biologic therapy in patients with severe plaque psoriasis: results of a European cross-sectional observational study. Journal of Dermatological Treatment. 2013; 24(3): 193-8.
27. Chaurasia V, Pal S. Skin diseases prediction: binary classification machine learning and multi model ensemble techniques. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(8):3829-32.
28. Pietrzak AT, Zalewska A, Chodorowska G, Krasowska D and Michalak-Stoma A. Cytokines and anticytokines in psoriasis. Clinica Chimica Acta. 2008; 394(1-2): 7-21.
29. Raychaudhuri SP and Gross J: A comparative study of pediatric-onset psoriasis with adult-onset psoriasis. Pediatric Dermatology. 2000; 17(3): 174-8.
30. Yadav K, Singh D, Singh MR. Development and characterization of corticosteroid loaded lipid carrier system for psoriasis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021;14(2):966-70.
31. D'souza JI, More HN. Topical anti-inflammatory gels of fluocinolone acetonide entrapped in eudragit based microsponge delivery system. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(4):502-6.
32. Kavitha S. Pharmacognostical Evaluation and Standardisation of Ayurvedic Formulation Patoladi Kwatha Churna for Psoriasis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(3): 1171-4.
33. Wozel G: Psoriasis treatment in difficult locations: scalp, nails, and intertriginous areas. Clinics in Dermatology. 2008; 26(5): 448-59.
34. Mahajan Tejasavi, Singh Navdeep, Goyal Kamya, Pandit Vinay, Ashawat M.S., Jindal Shammy. World dendrimer as a potential drug delivery system: a review. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 10 (4): 1818-1827
35. Jindal S, Awasthi R, Singare D, Kulkarni GT. Andrographolide loaded topical nanocarriers for management of psoriasis: a safe and effective approach. Plant Archives. 2021; 21(1):1899-902.
36. Krishnamurthy K, Walker A, Gropper CA and Hoffman C. To treat or not to treat? Management of guttate psoriasis and pityriasis rosea in patients with evidence of group A Streptococcal infection. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. 2010; 9(3): 241-50.
37. Jindal S, Awasthi R, Singare D, Kulkarni GT. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of Tacrolimus loaded liposomal vesicles by two methods: A comparative study. Journal of Research in Pharmacy. 2021, 25(1): 34-41.
38. Singh N, Sondhi S, Jindal S, Pandit V, Ashawat MS. Treatment and Management for patients with mild to severe Psoriasis: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020; 10(4): 286-92.
39. Nandgude TD, Hasabe PS, Kolsure AK. Clinical Features and Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018;11(12):5701-6.
40. Kumar A, Goyal K, Pandit V, Ashawat MS, Jindal S. Simultaneous estimation of Halobetasol propionate and Tazarotene in pure and dosage form by using UV-Visible Spectrophotometric method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(10): 4711-4.
41. Jindal S, Awasthi R, Singhare D, Kulkarni GT. Topical delivery of Tacrolimus using liposome containing gel: An emerging and synergistic approach in management of psoriasis. Medical Hypotheses. 2020; 142:109838.
42. Sondhi S, Singh N, Goyal K, Jindal S. A Laconic Review on Extraction, Biological Activities of Herbal Formulations of Berberine: A Traditional Drug. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2020;10(5):345-57.
43. Singh N, Goyal K, Sondhi S, Jindal S. Traditional and medicinal use of Barbaloin: potential for the management of various diseases. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Research. 2020; 8(3): 21-30.
44. Mrowietz U, Kragballe K, Reich K, Spuls P and Griffiths CE: Definition of treatment goals for moderate to severe psoriasis: a European consensus. Archives of Dermatological Research. 2011; 303(1): 1-0.
45. Singh N, Goyal K, Sondhi S, Jindal S. Development and Characterization of Barbaloin Gel for the Safe and Effective Treatment of Psoriasis. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2020; 10(5):188-97.
46. Sondhi S, Singh N, Jindal S. Natural Remedies used in the Treatment of Psoriasis: A short Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2021;11(1):43-5.
47. Sharma S, Sharma R, Goyal K, Jindal S. Potential of herbal treatment of Psoriasis: A Laconic Review. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021;11(1):51-7.
48. Sondhi S, Singh N, Goyal K, Jindal S. Development of Topical Herbal Gel of Berberine Hydrochloride for the Treatment of Psoriasis. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021;13(1):12-8.
49. Sharma A, Anghore D, Awasthi R, Kosey S, Jindal S, Gupta N, Raj D, Sood R. A Review on Current Carbon Nanomaterials and Other Nanoparticles Technology and Their Applications in Biomedicine. World Journal Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science. 2015;4(12):1088-113.
50. Jindal S, Awasthi R, Singare D, Kulkarni GT. Isolation, characterization and evaluation of anti-proliferative properties of andrographolide isolated from Andrographis paniculata on cultured HaCaT cells. Herba Polonica. 2021; 67(1): 35-45.