Ashok B. Patel, Bhumi K. Jinja, Amit Kumar J. Vyas, Nilesh K. Patel, Ajay I. Patel, Devang B. Sheth, Sunny R. Shah
Ashok B. Patel1, Bhumi K. Jinja1*, Amit Kumar J. Vyas1, Nilesh K. Patel1, Ajay I. Patel1, Devang B. Sheth2, Sunny R. Shah1
1Department of Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance, B.K. Mody Government Pharmacy College, Polytechnic Campus, Near Aji Dem, Bhavnagar Road, Rajkot – 360003 Gujarat, India.
2L.M. College of Pharmacy, MG Science College Marg, Opp. Gujarat University, University Area, Ahmedabad – 380009 Gujarat, India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
The United States Food and Drug Administration (US FDA) is a department of health and human services federal agency. If the FDA notices major violations of federal regulations, it sends warning letters to pharmaceutical makers, distributors, and clinical investigators. The nature of the infractions discovered, as well as the FDA's proposed corrective activities, are detailed in these warning letters. Following the completion of the corrective activities, the recipient may request a follow-up inspection. This review article examines the current state of warning letters issued by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) from 2019 to 2021. The main goal of this study is to examine warning letters related to drug and determine what the significant violations.
Cite this article:
Ashok B. Patel, Bhumi K. Jinja, Amit Kumar J. Vyas, Nilesh K. Patel, Ajay I. Patel, Devang B. Sheth, Sunny R. Shah. A Retrospective Study of Warning letters Issued by US FDA Over 2019-2021. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2022; 12(4):295-1. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00048
Ashok B. Patel, Bhumi K. Jinja, Amit Kumar J. Vyas, Nilesh K. Patel, Ajay I. Patel, Devang B. Sheth, Sunny R. Shah. A Retrospective Study of Warning letters Issued by US FDA Over 2019-2021. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2022; 12(4):295-1. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00048 Available on: https://www.asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-4-7
1. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. What We Do. 2021; 11(August). Available on https://www.fda.gov/about-fda/what-we-do.
2. Patel AB, Bundheliya AR, et al. A Review on Metal Impurities in Pharmaceuticals. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021 May 26; 11(3): 212-222. Doi: https://doi.org/10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00038.
3. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA History. 2021; 11(August). Available on https://www.fda.gov/about-fda/fda-history.
4. Prashar D. Process Validation: An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2011 Oct 28; 3(6): 247-250.
5. Jain SK and Jain RK. A Study of Regulatory Agencies Inspected Global Drug Manufacturers. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 May 11; 14(2): 1008-1016.
6. Jain SK and Jain RK. Avoiding warning letters in pharmaceutical industry: A qualitative study in the Indian context. The Pharma Innovation. 2020 May 14; 9(6): 18-24. Doi: https://doi.org/10.22271/tpi.2020.v9.i6a.4767.
7. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA Form 483 Frequently Asked Questions. 2021; 12(August). Available on https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/inspection-references/fda-form-483-frequently-asked-questions.
8. Bablani S and Janodia MD. Analysis of FDA Warning Letters Issue to Indian Pharmaceutical and Medical Devise Companies: A Retrospective Study. Therapeutic Innovation and Regulatory Science. 2019 Sep 09; 20(10): 1-7. Doi: https://sagepub.com/journals-permissions.
9. Patel DS. FDA Warning Letter Analysis: A Tool for GMP Compliance. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research. 2012 Nov 20; 3(12): 4592-4603. ISSN: 0975-8232.
10. Saini C, et al. Review of form 483s and warning letters to pharmaceutical manufacturers issued by USFDA. Journal of Generic Medicines. 2021; 0(0): 1-10. Doi: http://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/journals-permissions.
11. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. About Warning and Close-out Letters. 2021; 18(August). Available on https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/about-warning-and-close-out-letters.
12. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Warning Letters. 2021; 11(August). Available on https://www.fda.gov/.
13. Jain SK and Jain RK. Review of FDA Warning Letters to Pharmaceuticals: Cause and Effect Analysis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 Apr 26; 11(7): 3219-3226. Doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00592.9.
14. Jain SK and Jain RK. Evolution of GMP in Pharmaceutical Industry. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017 Fab 05; 10(2): 601-606. Doi: https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00118.4.
15. Patil SM, Sapkale GN, et al. Quality Assurance in clinical trial. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2009 oct 11; 2(1): 01-04.
16. Vyas AJ, Visana NM, et al. Analytical Quality by design in stress testing or stability indicating method. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021 Mar 08; 11(2): 170-178. Doi: https://www.doi.org/10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00029.
17. Muddukrishna BS, et al. Importance of competency level and its assessment in pharmaceutical industry. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017 oct 04; 11(1): 139-142. Doi: https://www.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00027.6.
18. Phadtare DG, Pawar AR, et al. A brief review on quality by design and process analytical technology. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016 Apr 10; 6(2): 122-130. Doi: https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5675.2016.00019.3.
19. Patel AB, Asnani AH, et al. A brief review on genotoxic impurities in pharmaceuticals. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2021 June 05; 11(3): 187-193. Doi: https://doi.org/10.52711/2231-5691.2021.00034.
20. Vyas AJ, Godhaniya JP, et al. A review on carcinogenic impurities found in marketed drugs and strategies for its determination by analytical methods. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021 Mar 12; 11(2): 159-169. Doi: https://www.doi.org/10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00028.
21. Patel AI, Maru PR, et al. Role of Vitamins, Minerals and Herbs in Strengthening immune system against the newly emerging viral disease SARS- CoV-2. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021 July 11; 11(4): 309-315. Doi: https://doi.org/10.52711/2231-5659.2021.00048.
22. Ananth L, et al. A retrospective study of Warning Letters issued by US FDA over 2015-2017. International Journal of Drug Regulatory Affairs. 2018 June 03; 6(2): 48-53. Doi: https://doi.org/10.22270/ijdra.v6i2.242.
23. Khoja SS, et al. A review on USFDA warning letter and violation observed in Pharmaceutical Industry. Pharma Tutor. 2016 Dec 01; 4(12): 33-36.
24. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Closeout Letters. 2021; 20(Sept). Available on https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/compliance-actions-and-activities/warning-letters.