Puri Sumati, Dandagi P M, Patil Sunita, Gada S G
Puri Sumati1*, Dandagi P M2, Patil Sunita1, Gada S G3
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Rajiv Memorial Education Society’s College of Pharmacy, Kalaburagi, Karnataka - 585102, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, KLE College of Pharmacy, Belagavi, Karnataka - 590010, India.
3Department of Pharmaceutics, DSR Institute of Pharmaceutical Science, Kalaburagi, Karnataka - 585102, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
The main aim was to formulate and evaluate and optimize taste- masked orodispersible tablets of Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride, a drug used in Allergic Rhinitis was prepared by direct compression method. The study involved different excipients which were used for the formulation and tested for their compatibility with Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride by the FT-IR studies. Based on the results of FT-IR studies, most of the excipients were found to be compatible with Levocetirizine which was used for the preparation of Levocetirizine oral disintegrating tablets. Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride is bitter in taste so the Tulsian-339 (ion exchange resin) was used to mask the taste to formulate an orodispersible dosage formulation using drug resin complex. Nine batches (F1-F9) of oro dispersible tablets of Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride were prepared by using super disintegrants like Sodium starch glycolate, Avicel PH102 and Low Hydroxy Propyl Cellulose in variable concentrations along with excipients for the development of optimized formulation. All formulations were subjected to evaluation studies of drug content, weight variation, water absorption ratio, wetting time, in vitro disintegration, dispersion time, hardness, friability and thickness uniformity. The tablets were disintegrated in vitro within 28-38 seconds, the complete drug was released from the tablets within 15 min. The results showed that Levocetirizine dihydrochloride was successfully formulated into an orodispersible dosage form.
Cite this article:
Puri Sumati, Dandagi P M, Patil Sunita, Gada S G. Formulation and in vitro Evaluation of Taste-Masked Orodispersible Tablets of Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(1):1-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00001
Puri Sumati, Dandagi P M, Patil Sunita, Gada S G. Formulation and in vitro Evaluation of Taste-Masked Orodispersible Tablets of Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(1):1-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00001 Available on: https://www.asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-1-1
1. Gupta S, Babita Kumar, Sharma P. Study on Taste Masking of Ranitidine HCl Using Ion Exchange Resin. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2013; 3(2): 60-62.
2. Deore PS, More YM, Maru AD. Formulation and Evaluation of Orodispersble Tablet. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 11(4): 267-2
3. Kaushik D, Dureja H, Saini TR, Mouth dissolving tablets: A review. Indian Drugs. 2004; 41(4): 503-508.
4. Borodkin S, YunkarMH.Interaction of amine drugs with a polycarboxylic acid ion exchange resin. J. Pharm Sci. 1970; 59(4): 481-486. DOI: 10.1002/jps.2600590409
5. LendeA, Mundhada D, Mujoriya R. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablet of Anti-allergic Drug (Astemizole). Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2015; 5(2): 59-65.
6. Rebecca, Ravi Kumar, Narayana Swamy VB. Formulation and in vitro Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablets of Labetalol HCl by Sublimation Method. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2016; 6(2): 70-80.
7. Govind A, Menden MB, Ravikumar, Simila1, Mercy, Narayana Swamy VB. Formulation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablets of Deflazacort. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2016; 6(2): 91-98.
8. Maskare RG, Indurwade NH, Yadav AO,. Kesharwani AS, Jain AA, Bisen VK,. Kotangale AT. Natural Superdisintegrant: Opportunity in Oral Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 11(2): 135-0.
9. Sohi H, Sultana Y, Khar RK. Taste masking technologies in oral pharmaceuticals: Recent Developments and Approaches. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2004; 30(5): 429-448.
10. Walsh GM. A review of the role of levocetirizine as an effective therapy for allergic disease. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2008; 9(5): 859-867. doi: 10.1517/14656522.214.171.1249.
11. Kundu S and Sahoo PK. Recent Trends In The Developments of Orally Disintegrating Tablet Technology. Pharma Times. 2008; 40(4): 11-15.
12. Katsuhide T, Etsuo M. Molecular Properties of Propranolol Hydrochloride Prepared as Drug–Resin Complexes. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy; 2001; 27(4): 359-364.
13. Anand V, Kandarpu R, Garg S. Ion- exchange resins: carrying drug delivery forword.DDT Vol.6; 2001.
14. http//:www.sigma husada.com
15. Lachman L, Libermann HA, Kanig JL. The theory and practice of industrial pharmacy, Varghese Publishing House, 3rd edn; 1991.
16. Haque I, Ravikumar, Narayanaswamy VB Hoque M. Formulation and Evaluation of Montelukast Sodium Fast Dissolving Tablets. b. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2016; 6(3): 159-169. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2016.00023.X
17. Prabu SL, Shirwarkar AA, Shirwarkar A, Dinesh Kumar C, Aravind Kumar G. Simultaneous Uv Spectrophotometric Estimation of Ambroxol Hydrochloride and Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride Indian J Pharm Sci. 2008; 70 (2): 236-238.
18. Venkatesh DP and Geetha Rao CG. Formulation of taste masked oro-dispersible tablets of ambroxol hydrochloride. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2008; 2 (4): 261-264.
19. Yunxia B, Hisakazu S, Yorinobu Y, Kazumi D, Akinobu O, Kotaro I. Preparation and evaluation of compressed tablet rapidly disintegrating in the oral cavity. Chem Pharm Bull. 1996; 44(11): 2121-2127.
20. Joshi P, Manju, Fateh MV, Raghavendra RaoNG. Review on Mouth Dissolving Tablet. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2019; 9(1): 42-54. doi:10.5958/2231-5691.2019.00008.X
21. Suvarna P, Ravi Kumar, Yamunappa, Shetty P, Narayana Swamy V.B. Development and In Vitro Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Tablets of Tapentadol. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2016; 6(1): 11-21. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2016.00003.4 water absorption ratio.
22. Venkatesh DP and Geetha Rao CG. Formulation of taste masked oro-dispersible tablets of ambroxol hydrochloride. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2008; 2(4): 261-264.
23. Ahmed M, Ravikumar, Narayanaswamy VB, Haque I, Hoque M. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Tablets of Doxazosin Mesylate. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2016; 6(3): 131-146. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2016.00020.4
24. Natalie MC, Clure. Stability studies in overview of ICH Guidelines for Drug Products. Matrix Pharmaceutical Inc. 1997. (http://www.mcclurenet.com)