Rahul Jodh, Mukund Tawar, Gaurav Mude, Apurva Fasate, Renuka Sutane, Purvaja Patanray
Rahul Jodh*, Mukund Tawar, Gaurav Mude, Apurva Fasate, Renuka Sutane, Purvaja Patanray
Department of Pharmacology, P.R. Pote Patil College of Pharmacy, Amravati - 444602.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
Ascorbic acid, also called Vitamin C, is an antioxidant molecule present in both animals as well as in plants. It acts as a redox buffer, reducing reactive oxygen species and neutralising them. It's a cofactor for enzymes that control photosynthesis, hormone manufacturing, and the regeneration of other cells. Antioxidants control cell division and growth, participate in signal transduction, and have a function in a variety of physiological processes, including immunological activation. Collagen manufacture, hormones, neurotransmitters, and iron absorption are all important. Vit C deficiency leads to scurvy and its low concentration raises susceptibility to infections, loosening of teeth, dry mouth, as well as eyes, loss of hair, itching of skin, and so on. Insomnia and weariness Vitamin C, on the other hand, can serve as a pro-oxidant, especially in the skin. The transition metals, such as copper, iron, etc., trigger a variety of dangerous radical reactions. Vit C is a powerful, effective, low-cost antioxidant and is used as a radical booster at the same time. Additional research is required to explain the dual role of vitamin C.
Cite this article:
Rahul Jodh, Mukund Tawar, Gaurav Mude, Apurva Fasate, Renuka Sutane, Purvaja Patanray. An Updated Review on Vitamin C-An Excellent Drug Having a Great Scavenging Property. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(1):25-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00004
Rahul Jodh, Mukund Tawar, Gaurav Mude, Apurva Fasate, Renuka Sutane, Purvaja Patanray. An Updated Review on Vitamin C-An Excellent Drug Having a Great Scavenging Property. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(1):25-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00004 Available on: https://www.asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-1-4
1. Dabelstein W, Reglitzky A, Schütze A, Reders K (2007). "Automotive Fuels". Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry. doi:10.1002/14356007.a16_719.pub2. ISBN
2. Jiang L, Yang KH, Tian JH, Guan QL, Yao N, Cao N, Mi DH, Wu J, Ma B, Yang SH (2010). "Efficacy of antioxidant vitamins and selenium supplement in prostate cancer prevention: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials". Nutrition and Cancer. 62 (6): 719–27. doi:10.1080/01635581.2010.494335. PMID 20661819. S2CID 13611123.
3. Cortés-Jofré M, Rueda JR, Corsini-Muñoz G, Fonseca-Cortés C, Caraballoso M, Bonfill Cosp X (2012). "Drugs for preventing lung cancer in healthy people". The Cochrane Database of Reviews. 10: CD002141. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD002141.pub2. PMID 23076895.
4. Abner EL, Schmitt FA, Mendiondo MS, Marcum JL, Kryscio RJ (July 2011). "Vitamin E and all-cause mortality: a meta-analysis". Current Aging Science. 4 (2): 158–70. doi:10.2174/1874609811104020158. PMC 4030744. PMID 21235492.
5. Bjelakovic G, Nikolova D, Gluud C (2013). "Meta-regression analyses, meta-analyses, and trial sequential analyses of the effects of supplementation with beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E singly or in different combinations on all-cause mortality: do we have evidence for harm?". PLOSONE. 8 (9):e74558. Bibcode:2013PLoSO...874558B. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0074558. PMC 3765487. PMID 24040282.
6. Tolbert BM, Downing M, Carlson RW. Chemistry and metabolism of ascorbic acid and ascorbate
7. Packer L, Fuchs J. Vitamin C in Health and Disease. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc.; 1997.
8. Hacışevki A. An overview of ascorbic acid biochemistry. Journal of Faculty of Pharmacy. 2009; 38(3):233-255.
9. Arrigoni O, De Tullio MC. Ascorbic acid: Much more than just an antioxidant. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 2002; 1569:1-9
10. Eryılmaz Pehlivan F. Effects of exogenously applied ascorbic acid on red cabbage cotyledons subjected to copper excess. Fresenius Environment.
11. Vichare V, Morade P, Kokane J, Tambe V, Dhole SN. A Comparative Study of Estimation of Ascorbic Acid by Different Methods in Fresh Fruit Juices and Marketed Preparations. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(11):1690-2.
12. Michels A, Frei B (2012). "Vitamin C". In Caudill MA, Rogers M (eds.). Biochemical, Physiological, and Molecular Aspects of Human Nutrition (3 ed.). Philadelphia: Saunders. pp. 627–654. ISBN 978-1-4377-0959-9.
13. Anjum NA, Umar S, Chan MT, eds. (September 13, 2010). Ascorbate-Glutathione Pathway and Stress Tolerance in Plants. Springer. p. 324. ISBN 978-9-048-19403-2. Archived from the original on November 5, 2017. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
14. Magiorkinis E, Beloukas A, Diamantis A (April 2011). "Scurvy: past, present and future". The European Journal of Internal Medicine. 22 (2): 147-52. doi:10.1016/j.ejim.2010.10.006. PMID 21402244.
15. Haworth WN, Hirst EL. Synthesis of ascorbic acid. J Soc Chem Ind (Lond) 1933; 52:645–647.
16. Pauling L. Vitamin C and common cold. San Francisco: Freeman; 1970.
17. Elwood PC, Lee HP, St Leger AS, Baird M, Howard AN. A randomized controlled trial of vitamin C in the prevention and amelioration of the common cold. Br J Prev Soc Med. 1976; 30(3):193–196.
18. Hemilä H, Chalker E. Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold. Cochrane Database Syst Rev.
19. Bendich A, Cohen M. Ascorbic acid safety: analysis factors affecting iron absorption. Toxicol Lett. 1990; 51:189–190.
20. Samuni A, Aronovitch J, Godinger D, Chevion M, Czapski G. On the cytotoxicity of vitamin C and metal ions: a site-specific Fenton mechanism. Eur J Biochem. 1983; 137:119–120.
21. Mathur V, Murdia A, Hakim AA, Suhalka ML, Shaktawat GS, Kothari LK. Male infertility and the present status of its management by drugs. J Postgrad Med. 1979; 25:90–96.
22. Malviya VR, Pande SD, Bobade NN. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Beads of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019 Dec 30; 12(12):5972-6.
23. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019; 8(8):624-9.
24. Malviya V, Ladhake V, Gajbiye K, Satao J, Tawar M. Design and Characterization of Phase Transition System of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride for Nasal Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 May 31; 13(3):4942-51.
25. Malviya V, Thakur Y, Gudadhe SS, Tawar M. Formulation and evaluation of natural gum based fast dissolving tablet of Meclizine hydrochloride by using 3 factorial design 2. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2020; 6(2):94-100.
26. Malviya VR, Tawar MG. Preparation and Evaluation of Oral Dispersible Strips of Teneligliptin Hydrobromide for Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31; 13(1):4745-52.
27. Malviya V, Manekar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Mar 1; 14(3):1535-41.
28. Malviya V. Preparation and Evaluation of Emulsomes as a Drug Delivery System for Bifonazole. Indian journal of pharmaceutical education and research. 2021 Jan 1; 55(1):86-94.
29. Malviya V, Pande S. Development and Evaluation of Fast dissolving Film of Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 31; 14(10):5345-0.
30. Burange PJ, Tawar MG, Bairagi RA, Malviya VR, Sahu VK, Shewatkar SN, Sawarkar RA, Mamurkar RR. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using Aloe vera and Thuja orientalis leaves extract and their biological activity: a comprehensive review. Bulletin of the National Research Centre. 2021 Dec; 45(1):1-3.
31. Malviya V. Design and Characterization of Thermosensitive Mucoadhesive Nasal Gel for Meclizine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Feb 28; 15(1):5782-93.
32. Malviya V, Burange P, Thakur Y, Tawar M. Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Atazanavir Sulfate by Nanocrystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jul 1; 55(3):S672-80.
33. Malviya V, Tawar M, Burange P, Jodh R. A Brief Review on Resveratrol. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022 May 25; 12(2):157-62.
34. Jodh R, Tawar M, Burange P, Malviya V. A Pharmacological Review on Orchid Dactylorhiza hatagirea (D. Doon) Soo. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 May 25; 12(2):141-5.
35. Jodh R, Tawar M, Kachewar A, Ingole Y, Deshmukh T, Ijapure V. Pharmacological Review on Tobramycin. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022 May 25; 12(2):137-42.
36. Jodh R, Tawar M, Kachewar A, Mahanur V, Sureka Y, Atole V. Pharmacological Review on Madhuca longifolia. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2022 Mar 1; 12(1).
37. Kirtawade R, Salve P, Kulkarni A, Dhabale P. Herbal antioxidant: Vitamin C. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(1):58-61.