Wajid Ahmad, Taimur Khan, Imran Basit, Javed Imran
Wajid Ahmad*, Taimur Khan, Imran Basit, Javed Imran
Department of Pharmaceutics, Institute of Pharmacy, Angola, Turkey.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Drug delivery is the method or process of administering a pharmaceutical compound to achieve a therapeutic effect in humans or animals. For the treatment of human diseases, nasal and pulmonary routes of drug delivery are gaining increasing importance. These routes provide promising alternatives to parenteral drug delivery particularly for peptide and protein therapeutics. For this purpose, several drug delivery systems have been formulated and are being investigated for nasal and pulmonary delivery. These include liposomes, proliposomes, microspheres, gels, prodrugs, and cyclodextrins, among others. Nanoparticles composed of biodegradable polymers show assurance in fulfilling the stringent requirements placed on these delivery systems, such as ability to be transferred into an aerosol, stability against forces generated during aerosolization, biocompatibility, targeting of specific sites or cell populations in the lung, release of the drug in a predetermined manner, and degradation within an acceptable period of time.
Cite this article:
Wajid Ahmad, Taimur Khan, Imran Basit, Javed Imran. A Comprehensive Review on Targeted Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2022; 12(4):335-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00053
Wajid Ahmad, Taimur Khan, Imran Basit, Javed Imran. A Comprehensive Review on Targeted Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2022; 12(4):335-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00053 Available on: https://www.asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-4-12
1. Malviya VR, Pande SD, Bobade NN. Preparation and evaluation of sustained release beads of zolmitriptan hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019 Dec 30;12(12):5972-6.
2. Garala RJ, Shirolkar SV, Deshpande AD, Kulkarni AD. Colon Targeted Drug Delivery System of Prednisolone by Press Coating Technique: Effect of Different Grades of Hydroxyethylcellulose in Coat. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(3):405-10.
3. Malviya V, Thakur Y, Gudadhe SS, Tawar M. Formulation and evaluation of natural gum based fast dissolving tablet of Meclizine hydrochloride by using 3 factorial design 2. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2020;6(2):94-100.
4. Sarma A, Das MK, Chakraborty T, Das S. Nanostructured lipid carriers (NLCs)-based intranasal Drug Delivery System of Tenofovir disoproxil fumerate (TDF) for brain targeting. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020.13;13(11):5411-24.
5. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019;8(8):624-9.
6. Desai JV, Patil JS, Kulkarni RV, Marapur SC, Dalavi VV. Alginate-based microparticulate oral drug delivery system for rifampicin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009;2(2):301-3.
7. Malviya V, Ladhake V, Gajbiye K, Satao J, Tawar M. Design and characterization of phase transition system of zolmitriptan hydrochloride for nasal drug delivery system. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 May 31;13(3):4942-51.
8. Bhimavarapu R, Devi RR, Nissankararao S, Devarapalli C, Paparaju S. Microsponges as a Novel Imperative for Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013;6(8):842-8.
9. Malviya VR, Tawar MG. Preparation and evaluation of oral dispersible strips of teneligliptin hydrobromide for treatment of diabetes mellitus. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31;13(1):4745-52.
10. Jangde R. Magnetically modulated Drug Delivery Systems: An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(11):1649-57.
11. Malviya V, Manekar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Mar 1;14(3):1535-41.
12. Girhepunje K, Pal R, Upadhayay A, Thirumoorthy N. Transdermal delivery of ciclopirox olamine via ethosomal and liposomal carrier. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(8):1207-11.
13. Malviya V. Preparation and Evaluation of Emulsomes as a Drug Delivery System for Bifonazole. Indian journal of pharmaceutical education and research. 2021 Jan 1;55(1):86-94.
14. Bakthavachalam A, Remya PN, Damodharan N. Review on Solid lipid nanoparticles. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(9):4430-4.
15. Malviya V, Pande S. Development and Evaluation of Fast dissolving Film of Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 31;14(10):5345-50.
16. Saravanakumar A, Minz S, Pradhan M, Sure P, Chandu AN, Mishra U, Kamalakannan K, Sivakumar T. Polylactic acid microspheres as a potential vaccine delivery system for the tetanus toxoid: Preparation and in vitro dissolution study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008;1(4):453-9.
17. Bae YH, Park K. Targeted drug delivery to tumors: myths, reality and possibility. Journal of controlled release. 2011 Aug 10;153(3):198.
18. Malviya V, Burange P, Thakur Y, Tawar M. Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Atazanavir Sulfate by Nanocrystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jul 1;55(3):S672-80.
19. Singh R, Lillard Jr JW. Nanoparticle-based targeted drug delivery. Experimental and molecular pathology. 2009 Jun 1;86(3):215-23.
20. Freeman AI, Mayhew E. Targeted drug delivery. Cancer. 1986 Jul 15;58(S2):573-83.
21. Malviya V. Design and Characterization of Thermosensitive Mucoadhesive Nasal Gel for Meclizine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Feb 28;15(1):5782-93.
22. Bareford LM, Swaan PW. Endocytic mechanisms for targeted drug delivery. Advanced drug delivery reviews. 2007 Aug 10;59(8):748-58.
23. Burange PJ, Tawar MG, Bairagi RA, Malviya VR, Sahu VK, Shewatkar SN, Sawarkar RA, Mamurkar RR. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using Aloe vera and Thuja orientalis leaves extract and their biological activity: a comprehensive review. Bulletin of the National Research Centre. 2021 Dec;45(1):1-3.
24. Kwon IK, Lee SC, Han B, Park K. Analysis on the current status of targeted drug delivery to tumors. Journal of Controlled Release. 2012 Dec 10;164(2):108-14.
25. Sudimack J, Lee RJ. Targeted drug delivery via the folate receptor. Advanced drug delivery reviews. 2000 Mar 30;41(2):147-62.
26. Kumari P, Ghosh B, Biswas S. Nanocarriers for cancer-targeted drug delivery. Journal of drug targeting. 2016 Mar 15;24(3):179-91.
27. Devarajan PV, Jain S, editors. Targeted drug delivery: concepts and design. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2015.
28. Veiseh O, Gunn JW, Zhang M. Design and fabrication of magnetic nanoparticles for targeted drug delivery and imaging. Advanced drug delivery reviews. 2010 Mar 8;62(3):284-304.
29. Chourasia MK, Jain SK. Pharmaceutical approaches to colon targeted drug delivery systems. J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2003 Jan 1;6(1):33-66.
30. Malviya, Vedanshu, Mukund Tawar, Prashant Burange, and Rahul Jodh. "A Brief Review on Resveratrol." (2022): 157-162.
31. Narayanaswamy R, Torchilin VP. Hydrogels and their applications in targeted drug delivery. Molecules. 2019 Jan;24(3):603.
32. Jodh R, Tawar M, Burange P, Malviya V. A Pharmacological Review on Orchid Dactylorhiza hatagirea (D. Doon) Soo. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 May 25;12(2):141-5.